4.08.2013

P.S.

Forgive me if I ran away
in my bright blue dress
reciting all twenty-five of the phrases
that I had committed to memory
When you hadn't the slightest clue.

Craziness is not my middle name, I promise.
Maybe my first.

It's not my fault that Shirley told her father
About the time we climbed to the roof
And counted the stars
Because I promise
That if perchance once happened to land on your nose,
I would have let it stay there,
rightfully where it belonged.

And pardon me if I am getting a little too forward,
but did you ever throw those boxes of laughter away?
Because I can assure you
That as for mine,
They are locked in fool proof jar
For whenever the time may be to call upon them.

And if you think that that is a little strange,
even the slightest speckle of unusual--Good.
I wouldn't want it any other way.

And when silly little Ella,
our imaginary soul sister
delivered me a present on my birthday
but not on yours, let me just say I'm sorry.
If Ella had a twin
and our brains were somehow connected
like wires on a telephone line,
I would have made her apologize--
Made her apologize.
And then blame it on me.

Because much like rainbows are used to apologizing for the rain,
And do so
Without so much as a whimper,
I would forget my crazy for a moment--See? I promise--
And simply say "okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment