5.27.2011

A Note or Two

"Music is a total constant. That's why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in your or the world, that one says the same, just like that moment."

-Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

I just wanted to share a little thought that I had when I came across this quote while reading Just Listen (good book so far by the way!). I was actually just revisiting a bit of older music...(well not really that old, some from a few months ago, but still) and the funny thing that I realized is that with almost each and every single song, there are memories and thoughts connected to it. For example...hmm, listening to Hot N' Cold reminds me of the days of singing this on our bus in sixth grade as a big group (: Other songs remind me of other things, like I'll listen to song and remember perhaps...the first time I heard it, or maybe a particular moment/time when I heard it that maybe stood out to me in some way or another. They can remind you of places, conversations, memories, and even sometimes people. It's really much more than eight notes strung together in some random way or another to appeal to people...it just is so much more than that. I guess...that's just the beauty of music. Just wanted to share that note or two (no pun intended ;)).

No comments:

Post a Comment